Axl Redford Heck (Born 1994) is a main character in The Middle. He is the mischievous, rebellious, athletic, lazy oldest child of Frankie and Mike, and the older brother of Sue and Brick. Axl is married to Lexie Brooks and ex-husband of April.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Axl is a freshman at Orson High in season one, and then continued his education as a business major at East Indiana State University on a football scholarship. In season 5, Axl had a college roommate, Kenny, but then he started living with his friend and football teammate, Hutch, who he still lives with in Season 6. Some episodes later, Kenny returns in Axl and Hutch's college room. In Season 8, Axl began dating April, which culminated in their hasty (and ill-planned) marriage and subsequent annulment of said marriage. However, they continued dating. He and April stopped dating of Exes and Ohhhs after which, Axl developed a crush on Lexie. They started dating in The Par-tay. He and Lexie said their first “I Love You" in Mommapalooza. In the series finale, Axl and Lexie get married and have three boys that behave similar to himself as a teenager and are having a 4th child (rumors say it's a girl) on the way together.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Axl is the stereotypical older brother: sarcastic, lazy, some-what dimwitted and sometimes mean to his siblings. He will often do things without permission, expects others to pick up after him, moan whenever asked to do anything that resembles work and would rather hang out with his friends than be with his family. However, he has shown flashes of kindness to his family occasionally, and is good at heart. He is a trial for Frankie, who wishes he would be more open with her, as he was apparently a very loving "momma's boy" when he was a child, something Frankie seems to want to re-capture. He is very self-absorbed and egotisical often referring to himself as "awesome."
Relationships[edit | edit source]
In Season 1, Axl maintained an on-off relationship with his "first love", Morgan, but eventually they broke up permanently. A recurring motif through his high school years consisted of him being tricked/otherwise misled into taking Weird Ashley to prom. In his senior year of high school, he was tutored by the valedictorian, Cassidy, and they began dating until they broke up in his freshman year of college. Later, he dated Devin Levin, the cousin of his mother's hairdresser. This ended when they mutually decided to see other people. In Season 8, he began dating April, the "love of his life". In Season 8 Episode 8 ("Trip and Fall"), after realizing that neither of their parents approved, they made the hasty and ill-advised decision to get married. The marriage was quickly nullified in Season 8 Episode 9 ("A Very Marry Christmas"). He broke up with April in Exes and Ohhhs. When he realized he had developed crush on Lexie. He started dating Lexie as of The Par-tay. He and Lexie said their first “I Love You.”’s in Mommapalooza. In the Series Finale, Axl and Lexie get married and have three boys that behave similar to himself as a teenager.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In high school, Axl wore number 32 in both football and baseball. While playing college football, he wore number 37.
- His favorite color is green.
- He likes donut holes.
- He is Mike's favorite child, due to Mike feeling that he has the most in common with Axl.
- He attended summer school after failing English.
- He is shown to care about Frankie (helped her when she went back to school).
- He loves bananas and poles.
- He likes pizza.
- He is always in his boxers when he's at home. During the summer when he was a lifeguard, he stayed in his boxers and went barefoot the entire summer.
- He was once suspended from school for skipping school and was forced to work at the quarry as punishment.
- Between his two siblings, Axl appears to prefer Brick (as shown in the episode "Twenty Years").
- Although he is often mean to Sue, he's shown from time to time that he really does love her too, often when Frankie and Mike aren't around.
- His first girlfriend, Morgan, broke up with him five times.
- He is often sitting on the couch in front of the TV. Many times he is seen watching TV with only in his boxers.
- He had a band with his friends, Sean and Darrin called Axl and the Ax-Men. Sue temporarily changed the name to Daseanax (Darrin+Axl+Sean).
- He was married to April for a brief period of time beginning in S8E8, but the marriage was quickly nullified in S8E9 as both parties (thanks to their parents) realized it was a bad decision. They officially broke up in Exes and Ohhhs because he doesn't feel like their right for each other and he really really likes Lexie Brooks, who he starts dating in The Par-tay.
- Lexie is Axl’s longest relationship in the entire show, given that they eventually get married.
- Appears in all 215 episodes of the show along with Frankie, Mike, Sue and Brick.
- In the original version of the pilot, his name was supposed to be Elvis. ("After Costello, not Presley")